Hydropool vs Canadian Spa Company swim spas: Which is best?
You’re looking for Canadian swim spas that can handle everything that Canada throws at it, including Canadian winters? Little wonder you’d end up looking at Hydropool Hot Tubs and Swim Spas and Canadian Spa versions.
Hydropool has a long history in Canada, spanning more than 40 years. It was one of the first companies to develop and sell swim spas. It’s based in Mississauga, with a factory and headquarters just a short hop away from where Canadian Spa is located in Oakville, although it says it builds its swim spas in locations around the world.
But the two brands on the market make very different swim spas. We’re frequently asked about Canadian Spa Company in our retail outlets, so in this article we will break down the differences between them.
We know it’s unusual for any company to talk about a competitor, but we know people comparison shop. And we thought this would help you understand the differences between what we sell and what Canadian Spa does, in the most unbiased way possible.
Let’s have a look!
Hydropool vs Canadian Spa: Model Comparison
Hydropool’s swim spas include:
- the AquaPlay, which is known as the 13-foot FFP or Family Fun Pool.
- Next is the Aquatic collection, which is designed as a multi-purpose workout, swim or family swim spa. It comes in 14, 17 and 19-dual-temp editions (which includes a hot tub and a swim spa).
- and lastly the Executive, which offers an elite swim system in 16 and 19 feet.
Canadian Spa counters with swim spas all named after the St. Lawrence, the waterway in Quebec and Ontario:
- under the St. Lawrene banner there is a 13-foot, a 17, a 20 and a 29-foot edition (also a dual-temp, including a hot tub and a swim spa and one of the largest models we’ve ever seen).
Hydropool vs Canadian Spa: Which has the better swim?
Hydropool staggers its swim capabilities throughout its lineup.
- Entry-level model the AquaPlay offers swimming, but it’s more of a large hot tub.
- The Aquatic Sport offers swim capabilities for most people, with dual jets creating a wide, stable current.
- The Aquatic Trainer kicks things up a notch, with an advanced V-Twin jet, that’s special to Hydropool. Hips on the shell direct waves to suctions where they can be recycled, further creating a wide, more consistent swim.
- The Executive Trainer again raises the bar, including the V-Twin jet but adding a current collector which turns your swim spa into a giant conveyor belt of water for you to swim in.
Canadian Spa Company products vary in size, but their swim system remains the same.
- They each have three jets, which is enough to create a strong current to swim in.
- These are all comparable to the AquaSport made by Hydropool.
- Each has an adjustable water flow, and some neat features like the 16-footer offering six seats.
- The 29-foot system is unique in the marketplace. No one else that we have come across currently makes a swim spa that size.
- The Canadian Spa swim spas come with an array of standard features, including things like perimeter LED lighting, two waterfalls, an audio system with speakers, plus an ozone generator.
Hydropool vs Canadian Spa: Which has better maintenance?
When it comes to cleaning, Canadian Spa does what a lot of swim spa companies do. They use a system similar to what is found in hot tubs. That means it has a top skimmer and a filter placed in front of the pump. This is a system that is so common it could be called an industry standard. It’s a good system.
Hydropool has a similar system in the AquaPlay. But all other swim spas come with a patented upgraded self-cleaning system, which features a floor vacuum and suction-side filtration, so that all of your water is cleaned every 40 minutes.
Hydropool vs Canadian Spa: Which is more energy efficient?
Canadian Spa are wood framed and full foamed. We don’t use wood because we had issues with warping on swim spas, which are larger than hot tubs and have more weight. As a result, we found wood just didn’t hold up the same way. Hydropool uses steel instead.
For insulation, Hydropool uses a mix of full foam and reflective blanket to trap in the motor’s heat. Canadian Spa counters with full foam, a great system that we used to use as well. We only switched because it was difficult to repair – the foam makes it so you can’t find leaks as easily or access the equipment under the swim spa.
Hydropool vs Canadian Spa: Which is better on price?
We have found that Canadian Spa is cheaper, usually by about five per cent. In many ways, these are swim spas competing for different buyers, so we understand the price difference.
Hydropool vs Canadian Spa: Which is the right swim spa for me?
Although each is a Canadian company, these swim spas are built for different people. Canadian Spa products have a lot of baked in options, and if that’s what you’re looking for, then it’s a good place to start. Hydropool allows more customization and has unique higher-end features like self-cleaning and elite swimming capabilities.
We wrote this because we’re asked about the differences between the two top swim spa brands in our retail outlets. We hope this piece answered your questions, but if it didn’t, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us by contacting your local dealer.
Disclaimer: In this article, we’ve used brand names not affiliated with Hydropool or Jacuzzi Brands LLC, the parent company of Hydropool. All information, including pricing and product details, was accurate at the time of writing and may change without notice.